In 2017, SSILA created a new Program Committee structure to assist the Executive Committee and the Program Administrator in organizing the SSILA annual meeting. We are pleased to say that this structure is working well. Analía Gutiérrez has served three years and is rotating off the committee. We thank her for her service to SSILA and her contribution to the Program Committee. So, we are requesting nominations for a SSILA member to serve as the new member of the Program Committee for three years.
The Committee structure is as follows:
Program Committee (in addition to members of the Executive Committee, who serve as members of the Program Committee):
- 3-person committee, with rotating membership
- Chair is the member in their 3rd year, who mentors the second-year member, who will be Chair the following year.
- The Program Committee co-ordinates with the Program Administrator in areas such as reviewer assignment and scheduling, and generally managing the reader pool.
- The Program Committee reads abstracts and makes decisions about what should be on the Program. It also makes decisions about submissions for organized sessions.
- The Program Committee Chair assigns abstracts to members of the reader pool, reads abstracts, with the Program Committee decides on what goes on the program, and schedules talks. The incoming Program Committee Chair is mentored by the current Program Committee Chair.
- Each year one person is appointed to the Program Committee by the Executive Committee
Please nominate yourself or someone else by February 7, 2019. Please give a brief explanation of why you or the person that you nominate would be a good fit for this position. If you nominate someone else, please confirm with them that they would be willing to serve on the committee for a three-year term. The Executive Committee will select the new Program Committee member from the nominees.
Description of the position:
- Members of the Program Committee will work closely with the Program Committee Chair and the Program Administrator, carrying out the responsibilities associated with putting together the program for SSILA’s annual meeting.
- The Program Committee members will be appointed by SSILAʼs Executive Committee – and will serve for 3 years.
- Most of the Program Committee duties fall in August and September, with some work in May and June.
- Opportunity to interact with many members of SSILA
- Professional advancement experience
- National/International professional service
Thank you for your support!